Friday, December 29, 2006

what I am reading...


I'm reading "the Iliad" by Homer. One book that every high school teacher in the States wants you to read. Though, I thought I read it back in high school, I am surprised to find out that most of the events in the book reveal to me as if it's being read for the first time. I remember not liking the book when I was in high school, but this time, it reads like a great adventure, war novel. I guess it has, partly, to do with the translation by Robert Fagles, who just recently published another excellent, per reviews by notable publications in the US, translation of Virgil's Aeneid. I am no fan of classics but this is a great book to read. Luckly, I have another book by Fagles, published after the sucess of "the iliad," "the odyssey." Thanks to Fagles, and, of course, Homer, I now have a few weeks worth of reading, a very happy happy few weeks, indeed.

No comments: