Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Koreans: who they are, what they want, where their future lies.


This book is by Michael Breen, a formal British journalist who lived in Korea, my motherland, for 15 years. As the title suggests the book attempts to dissect and explain who Koreans are. From the history to their everyday manners, Breen culls enormous amount of data and personal observations to disqualify and confirm some of the held belief and prejudiced view by the foreigners about Koreans.

I’m in the middle of the book and all I can say is that it’s a damn good book. He nails almost all the themes he touches. I never knew a foreigner could get into so deep the psyche of Koreans. I myself have been wondering about the subject but, being too complex, gave up analyzing them. It like a quicksand, the more you think about study them, the more it will confound you.

I’m going to finish the book by tomorrow.

No comments: